Re: [Shop-talk] AC for garage

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] AC for garage
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 07:46:17 -0500
At 12:28 AM 12/3/2009, Brian Kemp wrote:

 >John - The split system that others have described is probably
best. Your first
 >option of the AC in the wall is probably the low cost option. I'm
considering that
 >option, but have a stucco garage, so I just need a few minutes with
the angle
 >grinder and a diamond blade and I have an opening.

Brian,

Yes it does, and their cost doesn't appear to be that bad, under
$1,000.  I like
what Eric did, as my room over the garage is too cold in the winter and too
hot in the summer.  Even though it's tied to the main Heat/AC ducts.

 >I'd expect your second option would overload the door hinges and make the
 >door difficult to use.

Probably, but my thinking was it would be cheap to replace the door in the
future if I had to.

 >I have a portable AC unit we got as an easy way to cool rooms in
our old house
 >without central air. They are less efficient than window units.....

That's the info I was looking for.  I know of 2 people that have
them, and they
seem to like them.  In addition to their ability to cool, I don't
know where I'd
put it when now in use.

 >The next step up in portable units is a dual hose system where it
uses outside
 >air to cool the equipment and vent moisture. If you go portable,
look at that
 >option.

Outstanding!!  Thanks for the input.

John