Re: [Shop-talk] Micrometers

To: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Micrometers
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:45:03 -0700
> My understanding of these is that they just lock in on the bore
> dimension, and then you still need a micrometer or caliper to
> translate "this big" to an actual number.

Right.  In addition, it requires a good deal of both care and "feel" to get
them positioned just right in the bore.  If they aren't held perfectly
positioned _while_ you tighten the screw, then the resulting measurement
will be wrong.

That said, I can't justify buying a proper bore gauge, so I have a set
similar to those shown.  I keep taking measurements until I get 3 in a row
that agree ... which takes a surprising number of tries!

Moose, I'm not entirely sure what you are looking for, but IMO Enco has both
better quality and better prices than HF.  Eg,
http://tinyurl.com/yjp22or

Randall