Re: [Shop-talk] Micrometers

To: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Micrometers
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 23:43:36 -0400
I have a real nice dial bore gauge I bought at a swap meet (Hershey a
few years ago) that is Chinese sourced, like HF.  The mechanics of it
seem to rival the "real" equipment and it gives me repeatable results.
It's easy to swap in a better name brand dial indicator that provides a
tighter range.  While it's a comparative measurement, I have calibrated
it by zeroing it to a known dimension, the inside of a micrometer.  In
turn, I was lucky enough a while back to obtain a retired machinists set
of gauge blocks that I use to calibrate my micrometer before measuring
any critical dimension, as much to calibrate my technique as to the
tool.  I found the dial bore routine to give me more repeatable results
than I could get with snap gauges.

Of course, if this is for the purpose of sizing rings to a particular
bore, I question how accurate it must be anyway.  When you fit the
rings, you should grind them to adjust the gap to spec, so there is some
allowance there.

As far as micrometers go, I have found that my HF versions give me the
same results as the name brand ones that I later got from the retired
machinist.  My HF set is a set of 6 from 1" to 6" and they cost around
$75.  No digital readout, though.