[Shop-talk] Power Washer engine question

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Power Washer engine question
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 18:50:36 -0500
I have a Power Washer with a 6.5 HP Briggs and Stratton engine.  I bought it
about 7 years ago from Home Depot an I don't use it all that often. About 4
years ago I forgot to add Stabil to the gas before storing it away.  It was a
year (or two) before I tried to use it again and, as you can imagine, it
wouldn't start.  I could get it to run briefly with starting fluid, but that
was it.  I just put it away, deciding I'd fix it Maqana .  Maqana arrived last
weekend and I drained the now four year old gas (very yellow!), took the
carburetor apart and cleaned the jets, and re-assembled everything.
Amazingly, it started up pretty quickly when I was done!  So far, so good.

It runs fairly smoothly with the choke set to "Start" and does a decent job of
power washing.  However, the engine dies as soon as I move it to the "Run"
setting, regardless of how long I let it run and warm up first.  I can move
the choke part way in and it continues running, but it then dies as soon as I
squeeze the washer trigger.

Before I start fooling around with the choke settings (the owner's manual is
pretty pitiful, but does indicate that the choke can be adjusted), can anyone
think of another reason for it to run like this?  The choke worked fine when I
last used the washer and it doesn't seem likely to me that bad gas would
affect that adjustment.

Thanks.

Jim