[Shop-talk] HF Tire Changer

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] HF Tire Changer
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 21:03:30 -0500
I currently have 9 wheels with trash tires taking up space in my garage.
Someday I'll get around to selling the ones I don't want, but for now I'd like
to get rid of the tires and store the wheels in less space.  I can take them
all to a tire place, but as I recall, they get about $10/wheel for removing
tires, plus the fee for recycling them.  For $50, I'm thinking about buying an
HF tire changer
(http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34542) and
doing the work myself.  I can then easily take them to the recycling center,
although I don't know if there is a consumer charge for turning them in.

Has anyone ever used one of these or one like it?  Is it more trouble than its
worth?

Thanks.

Jim