Re: [Shop-talk] computer (in shop) question

To: john niolon <jniolon@bham.rr.com>, Shop Talk List
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] computer (in shop) question
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 22:48:37 -0400
john niolon wrote:
> says my mother board supports VGA and my max resolution under settings
> on desktop is 1600x1200...  so I bet I'm looking for a new video card,
> possibly a power supply then the monitor.... all totalled... close to
> the price of a new computer  or at least half...   The system is 7 years
> old and functioning fine but do you put that much cash in a used
> machine  that the new 'green ' czar might outlaw next year :-)

What are all the specs on it?  I can probably give ya' some good advice
on what's worth putting into it.

I've been playing the incremental upgrade game for a long time now, and
recently rethinking all that.  I have the same PC case from March 2001
that originally had an Athlon 850 in it.  Now it's an Athlon 3200, 2GB
mem, 320GB disk, semi-decent video card (you need one just for web
browsing these days, not just games and CAD) dual DVD burners...  "fast
enough" for what I do, but still several years obsolete.  Anyways, point
being, I've nickel & dime'ed a couple hundred bucks into it in the last
three years.

Wake up call last week was sudden need for machines at work.  We found
refurb Dell Precision Workstation 390 systems (their high-end
cad/cam/graphics boxes), two years old with still reasonable specs (Core
2 Duo 2.4GHz CPU, 4GB memory, DVD burners, Nvidia Quadro video card) and
a year of Dell warranty left for $365/ea... fedex shipping included.
And I'm wishing I had one of those @ home instead of my white box I've
put too much into in the last few.

Another consideration is if you buy a new Dell, they will throw in an
LCD monitor for nearly nothing;  although it's their lower end econo
version.

-Wayne