Re: [Shop-talk] mower engine issue

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] mower engine issue
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 05:20:12 -0700
> anybody know what that rod is, and what it's doing? some sort of constant
> velocity setup?

Yup, sounds like a standard small engine governor.  Supposed to hold the rpm
relatively constant, regardless of load.  The end at the motor would be some
sort of mechanism that pulls (or pushes) harder according to how fast the
engine is turning; some of them are a simple as a plastic flapper in the
breeze created by the fan blades on the flywheel.  But for a 5.5hp, I'd
expect flying weights of some sort, probably inside a housing.

> anybody know what this spring is supposed to be
> doing? some sort of dampener?

My guess would be that it opposes the action of the governor.  Might even
have originally been linked to the "throttle" control.  Putting some force
on the spring might be all that is needed to make it settle out; but more
likely IMO something is sticky and needs to be cleaned.

> if you know exactly what to do,

If it's for a go-kart, I'd probably just abandon the governor altogether and
link the pedal directly to the throttle (with some sort of mechanism so the
pedal can move farther than the little throttle disc).  Governors are great
for constant speed applications (like mowers), but not so much for a vehicle
where the speed varies.

Randall