Re: [Shop-talk] Cable requirements

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cable requirements
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 10:32:13 -0700
Here's a couple of answers, but I'm not an electrician, engineer, code
official or anything like that.

According to an on-line ampacity chart (it's on the Internet so it must
be true):> http://www.cerrowire.com/default.aspx?id=46

   #6 NM or UF is good for 55 amps, and #4 is good for 70.  What I would
probably do is run #6 UF for the entire circuit since it's rated for
direct burial, and install a 40 or 50 amp panel.  In my previous house I
had a detached garage/shop which I ran off a subpanel from my pump
house, which was subpaneled from my house.  The servcice to the shop was
installed by a local electrical contractor.  The garage/shop had a 40
amp panel.  I ran the lights, two garage door openers, a 220 volt
contractor's table saw, an old Craftsman 220 compressor and other tools
and never popped a breaker.

Dave C