Re: [Shop-talk] Brush trimmer tales of woe

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Brush trimmer tales of woe
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 15:09:18 -0500
> Still, I can't blame them for saying "this is what is required" ... if you
> don't like it, don't buy their product.

I wouldn't blame them so much if it were a more typical requirement and
included as a matter of course in the standard and visible cautions.

However, unless it's visibly marked, or dealers warn of this requirement
before selling the product, there's little chance anyone will know buying.

In this case, it's sure the first time I've ever seen an octane requirement
like this for a garden implement.  And the 90-day-old fuel requirement may
be reasonable too, but it should be pointed out somewhere obvious.

Hiding such critical (and warrantee-killing) requirements in the fine print
of the manual among all the "Do not lick the exhaust pipe while the engine
is running" warnings is not what I'd call visible.

A warning someplace a normal person would see it would be the minimum IMHO,
and in this case a sticker on the tank or fuel cap would seem to be in
order.

I'll say it again --
Beware if you buy an Echo product - they're not what they once were.