Re: [Shop-talk] sigh...now the pool PUMP is out

To: <scott.hall@comcast.net>, "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] sigh...now the pool PUMP is out
From: "old dirtbeard" <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 20:14:32 -0700
Dear Scott,

The "common approach" now is to use 1/2 the HP and run it for twice as long
as the original motor. If you have a 25K gallon pool, you could maintain it
with a 3/4 HP motor/pump very easily. Just extend the run times.

The most expensive component of any pool is the electricity required to run
the pump. Using smaller motors and running them for longer periods of time
dramtically reduces the friction losses in the piping.

I am waiting for my current 12 year-old 1 1/2 HP pump motor to die so I can
replace it with a two-speed or variable speed motor that would pay for
itself in a year or two if I were not on a photovoltaic system.

best,

shook
'72 BSA B50SS
'74 Triumph TR6