Re: [Shop-talk] sigh...now the pool PUMP is out

To: <scott.hall@comcast.net>, shop-talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] sigh...now the pool PUMP is out
From: Rich White <rlwhitetr3b@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 16:29:08 -0500
I'm not a EE nor do I play one on TV.  I did teach motors at a vocational high
school for a dozen years.

When my pool pump had problems a few years ago I got a new motor.  I do not
remember how much it cost, but it was not $600.  It could be a starter winding
or a starter cap.  If you do not get any better ideas, you might want to take
it to a motor repair shop.

Rich White St. Joseph, IL USA

'63 TR3B TCF587L

That ain't a scrap pile, that is my car!

See it moves!

> Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 19:01:12 +0000
> From: scott.hall@comcast.net
> To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
> Subject: [Shop-talk] sigh...now the pool PUMP is out
>
> And I cannot work on the Triumph until the wife and kid can swim again...
>
> For the past few weeks the main pool pump has hummed a little bit when I
turned it on, before it actually began pumping water. So, I'd flip the switch,
it'd go, "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" for three or four seconds, and then the actual
impeller would start turning, water flows, etc. I assume it was the electric
motor humming. No, it was definitely the motor humming.

> Last night it hummed for three or four seconds, then stopped. Now it does
nothing.

> The breaker is not flipped. That exhausts my troubleshooting ability for
this fault.

> However, I have tools enough to wire an addition to a house and tear down
and rebuild automotive engines. Can any of the EEs here perhaps start me on
the way to diagnosing this before I either:

> 1) buy a new pump for $600, or,
> 2) backfill the huge p.i.t.a. the pool has become and send the wife and kids
to the municipal pool.

> I'd imagine I should start soon, before the lack of water being pumped
through the filter turns the pool green again. Any help appreciated.