[Shop-talk] sigh...now the pool PUMP is out

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] sigh...now the pool PUMP is out
From: scott.hall@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 19:01:12 +0000 (UTC)
And I cannot work on the Triumph until the wife and kid can swim again...

For the past few weeks the main pool pump has hummed a little bit when I turned
it on, before it actually began pumping water. So, I'd flip the switch, it'd
go, "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" for three or four seconds, and then the actual
impeller would start turning, water flows, etc. I assume it was the electric
motor humming. No, it was definitely the motor humming.

Last night it hummed for three or four seconds, then stopped. Now it does
nothing.

The breaker is not flipped. That exhausts my troubleshooting ability for this
fault.

However, I have tools enough to wire an addition to a house and tear down and
rebuild automotive engines. Can any of the EEs here perhaps start me on the way
to diagnosing this before I either:

1) buy a new pump for $600, or,
2) backfill the huge p.i.t.a. the pool has become and send the wife and kids to
the municipal pool.

I'd imagine I should start soon, before the lack of water being pumped through
the filter turns the pool green again. Any help appreciated.

Thanks.