Re: [Shop-talk] Soft-jaw pliers

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Soft-jaw pliers
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:53:32 -0700
> maybe a soft-jawed
> pipe  wrench.

That seems like a contradiction in terms to me.  A "pipe wrench" works by
digging into whatever you are turning, so the jaws have to have teeth sharp
enough to dig in.  Once the teeth are too dull to bite, it will just slip
uselessly (and soft teeth are going to dull PDQ).

For soft jaws, I think you need something more like pliers, so the force to
create the friction can be applied externally rather than by the action of
the teeth.

> I'm going to have to
> bore a hole in some aluminum and then split it into two halves to make a
> tool to remove those caps without marking them.

FWIW, I've had good luck using lumber scraps for tasks like that.  Cheap and
quick, so no qualms about throwing it away afterwards.  Soft wood (building
lumber) will work, but if you have some hardwood scraps (say from old
freight pallets), that works even better.  And a cheap hole saw will usually
come close enough on the hole size to avoid the need for boring.

-- Randall