[Shop-talk] (no subject)

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] (no subject)
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 20:28:34 -0500
I recently met a guy who has a chrome plating business.  He doesn't do the
plating himself, but works with a commercial plater in another state.  He
sends them hobbyist stuff that they use to fill the gaps between their big
jobs.

I don't know much about chrome plating, but here is what he told me: He refers
to their chrome work as "show chrome", but says it is generally not triple
plated.   He says that the prep guy at his place prefers to spend the time to
polish the steel to a smooth surface, thus the copper isn't needed unless the
metal is badly pitted.  They then leave the piece in the nickle for about 45
minutes, vs the usual 5-10.

His prices were pretty reasonable, so I thought I'd give him a try with
something small, a pair of bumper overriders, which I just got back.  They
look terrific, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything when the
chrome is fresh.  It will be a while before I actually use the overriders,
possibly until I have a re-chromed bumper to put them on.  Is there any good
way to tell the quality of a re-chroming job?