Re: [Shop-talk] bead seating tool

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] bead seating tool
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 13:35:16 -0700
>Where does one go to get something hydrotested?  Presumambly for that it
>gets filled with high pressure water?
>
>Mark

When I was taking a welding class at the local CC, the students that
were going to weld for a living used to have to weld a six sided
box, with one side gas welded, one side mig welded, inner shield,
outer shield, or whatever was on the list of processes.

The finished product had a hole drilled in it for a schrader valve
(tire) and the instructor used some sort of pump (grease gun or
porta-power) with a gauge to show how much pressure the
box would take before failure.

The box would fail at the worst welded joint and everyone
got to appreciate the drama and supply commentary.
Great fun and educational besides

When I last put in water lines, I was required to do something
similar and I used a bicycle pump.

Steve Shipley