[Shop-talk] VFDs

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] VFDs
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 11:07:36 -0700
I just purchased a used Delta 12/14" table saw.  It has a 5 HP, three
phase Baldor motor on it.  I have been doing a lot of research over at
the old woodworking machines site on how to power it.  I'm looking for a
more or less plug and play solution, and would rather not start swapping
motors at this point.  I have more or less reached the following
conclusions:

- Most people feel that static converters are a Very Bad Thing, although
a few folks report that they work fine;

- If you are running multiple 3 phase loads, or loads in the 5 to 7.5 HP
and up range, a rotary phase converter is the way to go.

- Buying a rotary phase converter is expensive, and apparently you can
build your own for a lot less, but it requires a lot of messing around
on Ebay, not to mention a lot of assembly.

- VFDs are very highly regarded, but the "inexpensive" ones, that is,
under about $400, top out at around 3 HP or 11 amps or so.  Also,
anything over 3 HP generally wants a 3 phase input.  I'll be running it
with a single phase, 220 input.

- Apparently VFDs are capable of running at 150% for a minute before
tripping out.  My motor pulls 12.8 amps at FLA and the VFD I'm
considering is rated at 11 amps.  Some Old Woodworking Machinery folks
report running 5 HP machinery on a 3 HP VFD with no problems.

- Since I don't plan on ripping 12/4 maple all day long with a power
feeder, I will probably never approach FLA on my saw, so a 3HP, 11 AMP
will probably work fine for me.  Also, the existing saw has an Allen
Bradley push button starter mounted on the front of the saw.  With a VFD
I can get rid of the starter and use low voltage switching via the VFDs
inputs to start and stop the saw.  If I go with a rotary or static
converter, or a big single phase motor ($$$), then I will be messing
around with sizing the overload heaters, getting the correct coil
voltages, and so on.  In my experience with 3 phase motor starters, this
can get expensive in a hurry, expecially for obsolete AB stuff.

Anyone got any experience with these thing or would otherwise like to
wade in?

thanks
Dave C