Re: [Shop-talk] type of wrench?

To: Steve Hammatt Mount Vernon WA USA <gsteve@hammatt.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] type of wrench?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 18:29:59 -0700
> You can try making your own with a fairly
> thick piece of aluminum or other metal. drill and tap two or 4 holes in
> it where screws inserted through the holes would line up with the slots
> in the nut.. You can grind the tips of the screws so that they fit
> snugly into the nut.

Another way to tackle this is with a length of pipe or tubing the right
diameter, and cut, file or mill the edge to create the 'teeth'.  I've made
several of these for smaller items (like the bezel for the warning lights on
a TR3 dash), but it should scale up nicely.  With a carbide bit in a mill,
you can even use a cheap socket for the donor, and a ratchet to turn the
resulting tool.

-- Randall