Re: [Shop-talk] weed - grass killers

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] weed - grass killers
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 10:04:24 -0400
john niolon wrote:
> I want to kill grass, kudzu, briars, small trees... EVERYTHING !! ... then
> our mowing will be a lot easier and faster. This is an industrial site and
> grass and lawn care is considered a chore.

RoundUp (glyophosphate?) will kill everything.  I buy it in bulk (2+
gallons) and mix into a 3 gallon backpack sprayer.

Various 2,4-D products, like Crossbow, are more powerful on woody plants
like your kudzu, briars and trees.  But don't kill grass (or ferns &
moss in my yard, nice!)

Either one works better with a surfactant additive.  Really just a soap
/ detergent chemical that helps cut the oil on the leaves so they can
soak up the poison more readily.  It's the "Pro" you pay more for in
Round Up Pro.  Dish soap works about as well, or ag' stores carry a
concentrated additive.

That's the best you can buy in most places without a special license.
They work well at the suggested strength.  Don't go overboard thinking
"more is better" and mix up 3X concentrations.  That's the prevailing
logic that got the really strong stuff banned from general use.

-Wayne