Re: [Shop-talk] Leaky rivets

To: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Leaky rivets
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 21:26:20 -0500
Wellll, it's possible to re-peen them or replace them, but there's little
point in doing so AFAIK.  They're tight - but a few are a little weepy.  I
don't know what they really accomplish other than as a manufacturing step -
the seams are welded right next to the rivets - they seem to have been in
lieu of more substantial fixturing - or maybe MG thought it'd look more
old-fashioned that way ;-)

But it doesn't seem worth the investment in a rivet set and bucking bar to
make the perfect domed heads when therre's no structural advantage to
replacing them - just a few less spots on the floor.

Karl