Re: [Shop-talk] Garage design help / decisions (2 of 2)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Garage design help / decisions (2 of 2)
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 15:57:52 -0400
 >Anyway, before I can get someone to quote step 2, I need to have plans.

To get a firm price yes, but to get a rough idea no.  In fact you could create
a spread sheet to generate a rough list of building materials.  I've
done it before.

 >If it were just Laura, she'd probably pick some plans that look
nice and would
 >look nice with the house (and there are plenty of those ready made) but have
 >some functional stuff I don't like.

She might be surprised when she sees the difference in cost of a basic building
as compared to a fancy one  (with dormers, shutters, and other fru fru stuff).

 >Currently the closest plan I've found ready made is this one:
 >http://justgarageplans.com/63/plan-detail/2303.php

Nice!

 >Of course, that has a couple drawbacks... First, the stairwell is
in the middle of
 >the workspace and I really want it over on the left wall and to
have no walls
 >between the two garage sections.  Presumably that wall is load
bearing though,
 >so "just move it" isn't going to fly.

The center wall does appear to be load bearing.  You may find that
you could run
the span you want, but at what cost.  You could have engineered I beam made.

My dad's started as a standard 2 wide x 1 deep.  We extended it to a
4 bay - 2 wide x 2 deep garage.  Then he decided to add another bay
on the right side.  So
we used the existing wall.  It is nice to have some things,
especially a dirty room
off to the side to do sand blasting, grinding, etc.  But is also a
pain having to
go either in the front door, or to the back little pass through door.

 >so that I can make the 2nd story dormer 'functional' as well as
having a similar
 >dormer (or perhaps shed roof or two smaller dormers) on the back roof.

If you keep it simple construction, why not a barn or double
gambreled (?) roof.
This would give you max. head room and use of the upstairs.

Do you really need the upstairs?  Again keeping cost in mind.

 >I don't have issues designing the building in terms of knowing what
I want and
 >being able to trade stuff off, my issue is not knowing what the
tradeoffs are (for
 >instance, is it realistic to have an unsupported in the center beam 26' long
 >holding up 17' floor joists on either side, coupled with a standard
rafter roof
 >that's 34' wide at the base?)

Then why not try and draw up something you think you'd like.  Then see about
an estimate.   It shouldn't be that hard to estimate the cost of the
raw materials.
Again, use a spread sheet template.

 >In my ideal world I'd be able to get the shell built for $15k or
less, would be
 >happy to get it done for $20k or less, and would probably find a
way to pay up
 >to $30k if that's what it required.

Again the more work you can do, the cheaper it will be.  You could
look build the
entire building, with the exception of the trusses, or engineered I
beams and save
a good bit of money.  Maybe get some of your friends to help.  Build
the walls on
the ground then errect them.

John

Va. Beach, Va