Re: [Shop-talk] garage expansion gets green light

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] garage expansion gets green light
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 22:52:18 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent Sullivan"

> 22' deep is quite short unless your car of choice is quite small.

I realize that the 22' depth is less than ideal. But it is what is and I
can't go back further & don't want to build forwards.

My current & future car projects will be MG's & Alfa's.

I've been working with the 22' X 22' garage for the past 9 years. Thus 44' X
22' will be a chance to spread out a bit. It has been frustrating to have to
move the car projects out of the way to do woodworking projects &
vice-versa. My plan for the remodel is to have space for both. Most of my
large woodworking tools are on mobile stands (and will remain so) so if/when
needed I can shift things to allow for bigger/smaller auto/woodworking
projects.

I am leaning towards a 4 post lift. 50% for storage & 50% for maintenance.
The casters fit into my plan of being able to allocate space to current
projects as noted above.

I am not committed to 3 medium doors vs. 2 large doors. I can see
advantages/disadvantages to both.

I will definitely draw a floor plan to scale & play with scale footprints
for all the items I have & plan to have & wish to have.

BTW, we searched around for another property to buy before we decided to
proceed with the addition. Problem is we like this house, we like this
location and we didn't find anything we liked better (at least in our price
range...).

Keep those ideas coming...

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC