Re: [Shop-talk] Speaker signal out to RCA input

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Speaker signal out to RCA input
From: Peter Murray <peterwmurray@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 13:54:14 -0400
I don't know if Sony is using the RF chipset in any other equipment. I
can't think why they wouldn't use the electronics from the tuner in
the table radio (unless they are so compartmentalized that the tuner
group doesn't share with the table radio group). I have seen the
XDR-S3HD, and it is a decent performer.

If all you want to be able to do is listen to the radio, one certainly
could add a pair of computer speakers (which can plug directly into
the second of the two line outputs in the back - one an 1/8" jack, the
other a conventional pair of RCA jacks). Radio Shack currently has a
2.1 system on sale for... $19? I think that is what I saw at the RS
here in Tysons Corner at lunch today.

Oh, and the XDR-S3HD is available from Amazon (w/free Super Saver
shipping) for a hair more than $85. 2-day shipping if you have Amazon
Prime...

I can't wait until I get the antenna array up on the chimney (no tower
yet in my yard). I'm half expecting to be able to pick up everything
for about 100+ miles, though I'm no Girard Westerberg
(http://www.dxfm.com).

-Peter

--
Peter Murray (N3IXY)
Oak Hill, VA

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 1:16 PM,  <pethier@comcast.net> wrote:
> Does Sony currently use this XDR-F1HD unit (or one this good) as a front end
in table radio?  The review said they thought that is was used in the
XDR-S3HD, but that unit is apparently no nonger produced.

> I have a Bose unit with CD changer at home and the front end on it is way
better than the receiver system I was using.  I was thinking of getting the
radio-only version for the office to replace the boombox I have here that has
real problems pulling FM stations in this building.  (Don't bother suggesting
streaming on my computer:  My employer has it blocked.)  If Sony has a radio
with real front-end performance for substantially less than the Bose, I'd take
a chance on it.