[Shop-talk] water softeners redux

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] water softeners redux
From: scott.hall@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:32:27 +0000 (UTC)
--===============1247108927==

------=_Part_130581_580234009.1236789147760

so the thread on water softeners a while back got me thinking.

we have not just exceptionally hard water (limestone), but also a ton of other
'stuff' in the water. I'd like to get everything out of the water, but we're on
a septic system and I'm not sure it would like having a super-saturated brine
solution pumped into it periodically, and I don't think I want to just pump it
out onto the lawn or anywhere else. we have a separate septic system for the
washing machine, but I don't know if that's a good idea either.

as well, I'm not sure how great of an idea it is to ingest that much sodium.
I'm willing to plumb a line to the kitchen sinks that by-passes the softener so
we're not drinking or cooking with that water, but the ice-maker I'd just like
to have filtered, non-sodium-saturated water. just plain h2o, if at all
possible.

so...do you guys have thoughts on whole-house filtering systems? or are my
concerns about softeners unfounded? are filters a pain in the butt? can I pump
the brine into a septic system? do you have well water and a septic system and
a softener, and if so, how's that working out?

I could use a softener for the bathrooms and dish- and clothes-washers, and a
filter for the kitchen sink and fridge/icemaker, but if there's a better way...

we need to get all the 'stuff' out of the water (I'm tired of scrubbing shower
doors and un-clogging the dishwasher, and I'm sincerely starting to suspect the
septic system is too close to the well, and, ew...), but after googling and
talking with different people, I'd like the opinions of people that aren't
trying to sell me something.

thanks in advance.

scott

------=_Part_130581_580234009.1236789147760

div style=3D'font-family: Arial; font-size: 12pt; color: #000000'>so the th=
read on water softeners a while back got me thinking.<br><br>we have not ju=
st exceptionally hard water (limestone), but also a ton of other 'stuff' in=
 the water.&nbsp; I'd like to get everything out of the water, but we're on=
 a septic system and I'm not sure it would like having a super-saturated br=
ine solution pumped into it periodically, and I don't think I want to just =
pump it out onto the lawn or anywhere else.&nbsp; we have a separate septic=
 system for the washing machine, but I don't know if that's a good idea eit=
her.<br><br>as well, I'm not sure how great of an idea it is to ingest that=
 much sodium.&nbsp; I'm willing to plumb a line to the kitchen sinks that b=
y-passes the softener so we're not drinking or cooking with that water, but=
 the ice-maker I'd just like to have filtered, non-sodium-saturated water.&=
nbsp; just plain h2o, if at all possible.<br><br>so...do you guys have thou=
ghts on whole-house filtering systems?&nbsp; or are my concerns about softe=
ners unfounded?&nbsp; are filters a pain in the butt?&nbsp; can I pump the =
brine into a septic system?&nbsp; do you have well water and a septic syste=
m and a softener, and if so, how's that working out?<br><br>I could use a s=
oftener for the bathrooms and dish- and clothes-washers, and a filter for t=
he kitchen sink and fridge/icemaker, but if there's a better way...<br><br>=