Re: [Shop-talk] MIG welding Aluminum

To: <nogera2@att.net>,
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] MIG welding Aluminum
From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj@visi.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 08:26:55 -0500
Just a few of the "hardware" items related to aluminum and MIG.

Obviously the argon.

The wire feed will probably need to be changed to either a push-pull gun, a
spool gun or different drive rollers and a [usually] teflon liner and tips
to accomodate the aluminum wire in your existing gun.

A push-pull gun is really expensive.

A spool gun could very well be the correct option if you can find one that
will plug into your welder.

Converting your existing gun, cable liner and drive over so it will feed
aluminum will still have constraints related to what type and size of wire
you can feed, how far you can feed it - i.e. cable length, and how straight
you can get the cable. This all assumes that the right stuff is actually
availabe for you setup.

You might want to google "horbart 140 aluminum" and get some opinions. As an
example,

http://www.epinions.com/review/Hobart_140_MIG_Welder/content_242088185476

"Welding aluminum with this machine, as with every MIG except a spool gun in
this power range, is a tedious process. On thinner material, you need to be
very fast and very smooth. On thicker material, it can be really good IF you
have good karma, think happy thoughts and have everything right - see below.
If you're buying it primarily to weld aluminum though - this is not the
appropriate class of machine for you. Depending on what you want to do, look
for a 220 machine with intelligent speed control, or a TIG, or even a henrob
torch or Al "brazing" rods. No matter how good you are, it is a pain and
you'll end up with at least a few bird's nests per project with this
machine."

There were a number of tips on how to minimize the pain on that link.

Arvid