Re: [Shop-talk] Diesel vs. gas engines

To: <nogera2@att.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Diesel vs. gas engines
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 16:42:14 -0500
At 01:05 PM 1/31/2009, nogera2@att.net wrote:

 >...In discussing Diesel engines in cars he lists one of the
advantages as the
 >fact the engine will last up to 500,000 miles.  I remember reading some time
 >ago that the legendary long life of Diesel engines was not the fuel type but
 >rather that truck manufactures built Diesel engines to very high
tolerances....

Bob, et al.

I think Randall may have it it, "Evidence I've seen is that they are
somewhere in-between. "

Most of the big commercial diesels are built to a higher standard, stronger,
and designed to last.  There's not too much competition among earth movers,
craines, bull dozers, etc. as compaired to the passenger car market.  And when
you'll looking at spending well over $100K you expect it to last.

But if the diesels engines become popular in modern cars, and there is the
continued competition, I think the diesels engines will be economized down.
Will they still get 1/2 a million miles?  Don't know.

Again, Randall said: "as modern car engines seem to last far longer than those
of a few decades ago."

I remember when an engine had 85-100K on it, it was time for a rebuild.  But
my 84 Accord had 190K when I sold it 2 yrs ago and was still running strong.
My 89 Voyager (3L Mit. eng.) had 193K on it when my kids decided to take it
from the East to West coast and back.  It has 211K on it when we donated it
to charity.  My 95 Voyager (3L Mit. eng.) has 208K on it and we still drive it
every day.  And my 95 Tautus (3L V6) has just about 200K on it.  So the gas
engines are holding up quite well.

The big thing the diesels have going for them, is the better gas milage.

Moose said, "I HATE the fact that the American consumer thinks a car needs
to throw their head back to be good."

Yea, but just look at the Audi R-8 (is it?) race car that has been burning up
the track and winning everything in sight - it's a diesel.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                        65 Rambler Classic