Re: [Shop-talk] Diesel vs. gas engines

To: "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Diesel vs. gas engines
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 11:23:44 -0800
> I remember reading some time ago that the legendary long life
> of Diesel engines was not the fuel type but rather that truck
> manufactures built Diesel engines to very high tolerances and
> designed the basic engine, at much higher cost, for long life
> given the high mileage and type of use it will receive.

I guess the factors I see would fall under that category as well.  Big truck
motors have a miniscule power output for their weight, bigger bearings,
better filtration, etc.

But I do believe that the lubricity of diesel fuel compared to gasoline
plays a part too.

> are the diesel engines used in cars as
> long lived as the tractor-trailer engines?

Evidence I've seen is that they are somewhere in-between.  Of course it's
hard to compare apples to apples, as modern car engines seem to last far
longer than those of a few decades ago.  And the way they are used plays a
big role, too.  If you measure lifetime in number of starts (for example) or
better yet, number of revolutions, rather than miles driven, I suspect the
gap becomes much smaller.

Randall - probably 10,000 starts on a Chevy 350