Re: [Shop-talk] Diesel vs. gas engines

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Diesel vs. gas engines
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 21:25:45 +0300
I loved my '89 Mercedes 190D.  It was a luxury car that got 40mpg!  I sold
it with over 300,000miles on the clock and as far as I know, it's still a
daily commuter. In fact, that body and everything about that car was
great.  I shouldn't have sold it, but I already had 5 cars and 2
motorcycles.  For a single guy, that is too many vehicles!  (as if that is
possible.)

I HATE the fact that the American consumer thinks a car needs to throw
their head back to be good.  That 190D was a great car and we should all
be driving diesels today!  The Europeans have figured that one out long
ago!

Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.

Paul Parkanzky <parkanzky@gmail.com>
Sent by: shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net
01/31/2009 09:04 PM

"nogera2@att.net" <nogera2@att.net>, Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
cc

Subject
Re: [Shop-talk] Diesel vs. gas engines

I have a 2000 VW Jetta TDI.  It's gotten basically nothing but 10k
mile oil changes and a couple of timing belts in its 247,000+ miles
(I've owned it since just under 92k).  The only engine related repairs
I've had to make in that time were to replace the MAF, the glowplug
harness, and the starter.  The car still runs great and I expect the
motor to outlast the body of the car.  Not bad for a car that has
averaged about 50 MPG for the 155,000+ miles I've owned it.  Probably
the best car purchase I've ever made.  It's our second.  We had an '01
for a month or two before my wife totaled it.  This replaced it.

We recently bought a 2009 TDI Jetta.  We're approaching 10k miles on
it now and it averages around 40 MPG.  Not nearly as good as the 2000,
but it's a much larger and heavier car and it's got way more power
(140 HP 240 lb.-ft. of torque vs. the 90 HP in the 2000 TDI).  It's
also a much cleaner engine.  I'm really happy with it so far.  I'm
considering replacing the 2000 with a 2009 TDI Sportwagen next fall or
so.  That is if Subaru doesn't bring the Legacy with a diesel motor.
If they do, I think I'll buy one of those.

-Paul

You are subscribed as eric@megageek.com