[Shop-talk] Water de-ionizing resin?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Water de-ionizing resin?
From: Obaa <obaa996@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:29:42 -0800 (PST)
Somewhat on topic, maybe?

I got a water de-ionizer last year as a present; it's this one:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11201522&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

The thing works really well if I limit the water flow through it to a level it
can handle; I can wash the car on a hot afternoon and not worry about drying it
off.
It's seen enough use now that the resin for de-ionizing needs replacement
(there is a meter built into the device which monitors water quality).  The
only source of this stuff that I am aware of is from the manufacturer, who
thinks quite highly of it based on the price.  I'm sure this stuff must be
generic across different companies, but I'm not sure what it is, or how to look
for it.  Do any of you know what an equivalent substitute and source might be?

Thanks!