Re: [Shop-talk] Craftsman deal....

To: Obaa <obaa996@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Craftsman deal....
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 08:59:12 -0500
At 11:18 PM 1/19/2009, Obaa wrote:

 >Okay...  So I know Craftsman isn't the best brand out out there,
nor necessarily
 >well liked on this list, but it works well for my purposes.  I just
bought this set
 >tonight, and it seems like a good deal, so I thought I would pass it along...

 >http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00934302000P?sid=I0084400010000100312&aff=Y

Obaa,

I agree with Bill Gingerich, most of my tools are Craftsman, and I too have had
many for over 30 years.  As a hobbiest, I can't see paying the price for MAC,
Snap-On, etc.

I do have some cheap tools, like Moose either because I couldn't afford the
good ones, or I wanted to see if I'd really use it before spending the extra
money for a "good" version of the tool.

As to sets, I've never bought a set like you just purchased.  When I
was younger
I couldn't afford one.  So I purchased the tools I needed when I needed them.
Yes it probably cost me more over the long run, but I never had to shell out
too much at any one time.  Plus when I was looking at sets, they usually had
tools that I either didn't want or need, like a hack saw, a hammer, files, etc.
But over time, I must admitt that I did end up having to buy these other tools.

Finally, it depends on what you want it for.  I have a couple of cheap tool
sets (approx $50 ea) that are thrown in the trunks of our various cars so I
can make simple repairs on the road.  If anything happens to them, I won't
get upset.  These only have a few wrenches and sockets, etc. similar to
this one:

http://www.team.net/www/morgan/tech/tools/part1/2-TookKit.jpg

John

Va. Beach, Va