Re: [Shop-talk] Sweat joint leak

To: "John Mitchell" <jmitch@snet.net>, "Shop Talk List"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Sweat joint leak
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 10:17:44 -0600
As everyone said, it sure sounds like there's still water in the line.  But
if you've used oxy-acetylene and are sure there's no water, it's possible
you've overheated the joint and it's just not going to flow.

The new lead-free solder, which works great otherwise, seems more prone to
burning, but it can happen if you overheat regular lead solder too.  Once
that happens, it's best to cut the burned area out and start over.

I'd just cut it out, slip in a new section with stopless couplings, and
re-solder, using the bread trick if you can't stop the water any other way.

Karl