Re: [Shop-talk] Sub Zero (Was- Freon Leak detectors)

To: "Eugene D Abbondelo" <eabb@loc.gov>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Sub Zero (Was- Freon Leak detectors)
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 13:11:38 -0500
On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Eugene D Abbondelo <eabb@loc.gov> wrote:
> Fridges that don't make ice; stoves that cook unevenly--brings up the
> question:
>
> Sub Zero, Viking, Wolf, Thermador, etc. are supposed to be the Snap-Ons of the
> cooking industry.  Are they really that much better than the other brands out
> there and are they deserving of the not-insignificant extra amount of money
> they cost?

The answer ranges from "not really" to "absolutely not".  Some of them
are better than mainstream brands, or have features not found
elsewhere.  But that's less true than it was just  a few years ago.
And you pay an awful lot for the name.  And some of the stuff is just
utter crap:  my brother has a very fancy (it was in the house when
they bought it) Dacor range.  The oven door hinges are not capable of
supporting the weight of the door.  They bend.  That causes the switch
that turns the light on and off to flicker, which causes the switch to
heat up, which burns out a trace on the circuit board that controls
the oven, which results in  1500 dollar repair bill.  The thing is
defective as designed, and if they sold more than a few thousand of
them, they wouldn't be able to get away with selling such crap.

A real commercial range, which costs less than your moderately fancy
one from maytag, will not having any problem having the oven door used
as a step stool.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com