Re: [Shop-talk] Welding a cracked fan Blade

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Welding a cracked fan Blade
From: "scottmryan@netzero.net" <scottmryan@netzero.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 17:39:50 GMT
 If you are at all careful, it should be fine, I balanced the fan I rewelded
by putting extra metal on the other side. removing material from the tips of
the blades should work fine too.I did have a water pump shaft break (on a 69
merc 429)while I was up front revving it up trying to get the back barrels on
a autolite 4bbl to kick in reliably (kicked in that time!) sheared through
both fan belts,and cut most of the way through the radiator (about 20"
circle)scared the hell out of me! this was not the fan I welded, it was stock
(w/ a fan clutch) Scott RyanPS: I did have a fan clutch that lost it's
bearings, and I thought thatwas going to shake itself apart (89 chev blazer
v6)James F Juhas wrote:>Not as far out of balance when I lost one of six
blades.  I thought the whole car was going to shake itself apart!>If carefully
done, and ground smooth to finish, I would guess that the balance would be
close to original, and perhaps it could then be >balanced with the judicious
removal of material from the heavy side, like at the tips of the blades.>But
then, all of this is why my fan remains in two parts as an art object and
conversation piece.  And MGA fans are not in short supply: my >junk box turned
up three more, but now I'm afraid to use one.>FRED E THOMAS wrote:>> The bad
thing about welding a fan blade back on is the fan will now be >> way out of
=="balance"==  "FT"