Re: [Shop-talk] A different kind of Multi zone heating

To: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] A different kind of Multi zone heating
From: Trevor Boicey <trevor@boicey.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 00:37:33 -0500
Jim Stone wrote:
> I didn't want to hijack the previous thread, so I am starting my own.  We live
> in a 95 year old house with hot water radiator heat.  I know that in other
> countries you can replace the radiator shut off valves with thermostatically
> controlled one, creating room by room zones.  However, I have looked and can't
> find anything like that here.  Is anyone aware of a US supplier of these?

   The Honeywell envirazone I was mentioning can work this way, I think.

   All that really changes is replacing the air duct dampers with the
water valves. This gives you all the zoning features including
programmability for time of day and so on, but you have to run three
wire cable to a central controller from every valve.

   Sounds like what you are talking about is local control for each room
based on the temp in that room only, no networking needed.

   I would guess that you might just be able to take these motorized
valves and connect them to a basic thermostat with a transformer for
power? Probably ok as long as some radiators remain open all the time
and there is no chance of blocking the circulation of water.

   Have a look at ebay auctions 380087436002 and 110320112584 for 24V
ones. They seem to come in normally open and normally closed. I think
with the envirazone you can use normally open so they fail open if the
power goes off.

   You might want normally closed for thermostat use as most thermostats
want to apply voltage when heat is needed. It looks like these have a
manual bypass lever if the system or power fails.

   Ebay item 390008703114 looks similar but in a 120V configuration,
might work with those wall thermostats for baseboard heating that switch
the whole current rather than just trigger a relay somewhere else.