Re: [Shop-talk] Shielding gas tank

To: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shielding gas tank
From: Trevor Boicey <trevor@boicey.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 00:41:07 -0500
Jim Stone wrote:
> How long does 20 cu ft of shielding gas last?  Given the minimal cost
> difference between 20 and 40 cu feet of my primary shielding gas (I have no
> idea what they get for other mixes), am I stupid to even question this?

   Mine is the 40cu ft. I'd say get the biggest bottle you are
comfortable living with.

   And yes, the exchange programs work great because some times you go a
long time between refills.

   I think I am on about my fifth bottle in about 10 years. With that I
restored two cars and did a few dozen small jobs.

   When doing a lot of welding (car bodywork) you might have to replace
the bottle a few times. When just doing odd jobs, it might last years,
which makes renting the bottles like the shops do a bit silly.