Re: [Shop-talk] garage expansion project

To: Eric J Russell <ejrussell@mebtel.net>, shop-talk
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] garage expansion project
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 09:48:36 -0700
 Permits are being applied for in 2 minutes :) Contractor was meeting my
wife at the building dept. at 9:30 and its 9:28 right now :)

 I am doubling my garage from 20x20 to 22x40  (kind of, I will be
bragging later on a webpage with pics to make sense of the "kind of"
part).  I am moving all the big stuff outside, the compressor will go on
a small slab outside along with my powder coating oven and glass beading
cabinet.  That will open up lots of space in the garage.  The oven will
be treated like a window, so I will still use it inside the garage but
it will be outside.  2 lifts, surprisingly the 4-post will go in the
existing garage with only 8'6" clearance to the rafters and the scissor
lift will go in the new section with 9ft. walls and scissor trusses
(makes sense to me, no worries).  I had 5 1/2" slab poured in the
existing garage with rebar 18" o.c. instead of code here which is 24"
o.c. and the new garage will have the same thing.

 I had a 100amp dedicated sub panel wired in the existing garage a few
weeks ago, a garage that size needs power !  You should consider where
water and drain will be if you are going to have a sink, I may not have
a sink and already miss it but garage slab will actually be about 2"
higher than house and its hard to make drain water go uphill, a hole
with a sump pump is being considered and my contractor says that would
work fine since its just for washing my hands or parts, not a toilet.

 As for the dust collector and compressor, yes of course they can be in
the same room but both create heat and heat is your compressors enemy. I
will be sucking in clean air from the outside for my compressor and that
might be sufficient for you also but with heat in your compressor room,
be prepared for water in your lines unless you prep that and I second
that recommendation on TP Tools air design.

 Ok, its 9:38, can I call the concrete guy yet ?

    mike

Eric J Russell wrote:
> The planets are aligning themselves and I expect to soon have the
> funds to begin a garage expansion project. I have had spousal approval
> (more like encouragement and sorry - her sisters are married) for
> quite some time.
>
> My plan is to double the garage from ~ 22'w X 22'd (laughingly called
> a "double garage") with an attic full of trusses accessible by pull
> down stairs to 44'w X 22'd with a room above for hobby use (model
> railroading). The 44' wall will be the entrance wall with garage
> doors.
>
> I will likely add a four-post lift. Does the garage floor need extra
> reinforcement?
>
> I am thinking of adding an area for an air compressor & probably a
> dust collector. Is it likely those two should not co-habit?
>
> Any other advice appreciated. Things you are glad you did or wish you
> did.
>
> Eric Russell
> Mebane, NC
> http://home.mebtel.net/~ejrussell

Mike Rambour
Bug Writer err...Programmer
      mikey@b2systems.com
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car,
then take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/
or the ULTIMATE ALMOST a Ferrari http://www.dinospider.com