Re: [Shop-talk] garage expansion project

To: <ejrussell@mebtel.net>, "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] garage expansion project
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 09:05:03 -0500
First off, the space will need decent ventilation to keep the machines cool.

If the dust collector lets any dust escape, a little room and everything in
it will get really dirty really fast.  That will inhibit the compressor's
cooling and make it run hot.  The compressor's intale air cleaner will get
plugged quickly too.  Also, running the machines in an enclosed space will
make that space hot, and both will run hotter than they were designed to do.

If the dust collector's output could be ducted outside, that would probably
eliminate the dirt issue.  If it's one of the large exposed bag types, maybe
it can't directly be ducted out, but you could split the room into two
separate "cells" to keep any dust away from the compressor.

Similarly the air compressor can breathe clean outside air if you duct the
intake from the outside.  But of course you need to separate the ventilation
intakes and exhausts to avoid recyclinig dirty and hot air, and also watch
where the compressor intake comes from.

Karl

.