Re: [Shop-talk] garage expansion project

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] garage expansion project
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 10:15:59 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008, Eric J Russell wrote:
> My plan is to double the garage from ~ 22'w X 22'd (laughingly called a
> "double garage") with an attic full of trusses accessible by pull down
> stairs to 44'w X 22'd with a room above for hobby use (model
> railroading). The 44' wall will be the entrance wall with garage doors.
>
> I will likely add a four-post lift. Does the garage floor need extra
> reinforcement?

Nothing particularly special for a four post lift, IIRC.  If you want to
"future proof" it for when you realize that you actually want a two post
lift (:-), check out some of the manufacturer websites for requirements.
IIRC, a 6" floor with reinforcement and any reasonable psi is fine, but
clearly you should check around for actual specs.

> I am thinking of adding an area for an air compressor & probably a
> dust collector. Is it likely those two should not co-habit?
>
> Any other advice appreciated. Things you are glad you did or wish you
> did.

I think 22' deep is really quite tight... My shop is 24' deep and there's
not a lot of room between the tire machine, nose of a car (camaro, in this
case), car, and door.  My truck is 21' long by itself IIRC.  I think 32'
deep would be much more ideal, but obviously that's also a much different
construction project.

If you can't make it deeper, make sure you lay things out so that you
don't need tools, benches, etc. in front of your auto workbays.

Mark