Re: [Shop-talk] MIG welding Aluminum

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] MIG welding Aluminum
From: "Mark Watson" <watsonm05@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 17:50:16 -0400
Hi, all,

    OK, I've just got to weigh-in on this one.  Do you have or have access
to an Oxy-acet set?  You can indeed gas weld aluminum.  The only special
thing you need is a special lens that cuts the sodium flair out so you can
see the weld puddle.  Oh yeah, flux and rod of course.

    I'm not talking about the "magic metal" type of repair material.  The
ads make it sound great but I'm a sceptic: http://www.durafix.com/

    About 16 years ago my late brother and I went to Michegan to take a
metal working class from Ron Fournier.  Great class!!!  I gas welded
aluminum as part of the workshop.  Here's a link:
http://www.fournierenterprises.com/gasweld.html

    You can also go to the Tinman's website:
http://tinmantech.chainreactionweb.com/html/aluminum_welding_supplies.php?cart=55343976fd5cf5247139aff2674a1764

    Also, I wouldn't class myself as a great gas welder.  Not even a good
gas welder but mediocre at best.  If I can do it I'd say just about anyone
can.

    Enjoy and let us know what you end up doing so we can learn.

Mark Watson
1956 Daimler Regency Mk II '104' (I gotta get this durn thing back on the
road!)
1965 Ford Falcon (used to be daily driver until the sybchro's in the little
3-speed died.)
various transportation pods

P.S.  I LOVE this tag line: