Re: [Shop-talk] MIG welding Aluminum

To: "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] MIG welding Aluminum
From: "Jack Brooks" <jibjib@att.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:49:43 -0700
Bob,

1. The Handler 140 (I own a 135) may be underpowered, depending on the
thickness of the aluminum sheet.  See your manual about it.  The reason is
that Aluminum will transfer the heat away from the work area quickly,
requiring more power to complete a similar weld.  The Handler may not cut it
if the fenders have some thickness to them.

I attached a copy of my manual and a few other Mig tips.  The manual shows
using a lot of power to weld aluminum sheet.  If you do proceed, and I would
give it a try, put a box fan blowing on the welder to keep it cooler and
extend the duty cycle.  I've done this when I've welded heavy steel with
multiple stitched passes and never overheated (tripped out on temperature).

2. Your current regulator is fine.

3. What I have read, since I have not personally welded Aluminum, is that
the technique is slightly different, but sufficiently similar that it should
be something you can handle, if you are comfortable with steel.

Jack