Re: [Shop-talk] Levels

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Levels
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 22:41:55 -0700
Steven Trovato wrote:
> Cool.  Did you have them all interconnected so that all the tubes would
> show the same level?  Sort of a water level octopus?
>
>> I made four of 'em when I was checking the well-bashed '65 Mustang
>> convertible to see how square it was - one across each the front and
>> rear suspension pickup points, then two front-left/right-rear,
>> front-right/left-rear.

No, I wasn't necessarily trying to measure the same heights for
everything, though I suppose I could have made it work that way.
Side-to-side I used them to shim the car level on the jackstands, then
the cross-measurement (combined with a bunch of plumb-bobs and some tape
on the floor) more or less confirmed that the car was square within the
(1/16in or so) tolerances of my measuring equipment.

John.