Re: [Shop-talk] 6 volts DC

To: "'Skip Albright'" <salbrigh@nycap.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 6 volts DC
From: "Bill Gingerich" <bill@gingerich.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 21:49:20 -0500
Check Radio Shack for a voltage converter.  They used to sell units that
plugged in a cigarette lighter socket and had adjustable output voltages.
One that I have in my "junk" box has settings for 3, 4.5, 6, 9, & 12 volts.
Finding one with a big enough current capacity might be a trick, but I think
they are out there.

Another option that takes a little work and soldering is to build an
adjustable voltage regulator.  Simple ones have 5-6 components that can be
bought at Radio Shack, and can handle 5 amps or so.  You connect the input
to your 12 volt battery, adjust the knob so the output is 6 volts, and away
you go.  I've built a couple over the years, and it really is easy.

BillG
Newalla, OK