Re: [Shop-talk] 6 volts DC

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 6 volts DC
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 19:28:15 -0400
At 06:38 PM 9/12/2008, Skip Albright wrote:

 >thanks for all the help on the 6 volt starting issue on the 49 dodge.
 >Now I need to test the accessories like the clock and the radio.
 >what can I use for  source?

Skip,

Why not the car's electrical system?  But yes you can us a 6V lantern
battery to test the various accessories.

 >can I make a change to my 12volt jump box to make it safe?

Not easliy.  You'd need to install a switch to cut about 1/2 the internal
batteries out of the system or have some sort of very large resistor, like
a oil bathed resistor for a radio transmitter dummy load to give you the
voltage drop you'd need when cranking.

I've just been through the same problems with my dad's '40 Packard.  It had
been very slow cranking.  So we replaced all the high current wires from the
battery to the starter and solenoid,  and battery ground and engine to chassis
ground strap.  Since then, it's been spinning pretty well (for a 6V system).
Today it was very sluggish and after we fired her up to move her,
shut her down,
when we went to refire she wouldn't light.  Turns out that last time
dad worked
on it, if didn't reconnect the ground strap from the chassis to the
block.   Once
we found and reconnected that, she slowly came to life.  The joy's of a 6V
system.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229