Re: [Shop-talk] 6 volts DC

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 6 volts DC
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 16:12:35 -0700
> what can I use for [6v] source?
> toy train transformer?

Should work, if you can adjust the voltage.  But usually their output has a
lot of AC in it, so for testing radios and such you should probably add some
filter capacitor(s) across the output (which will increase the voltage,
requiring further adjustment).  You should be able to find some suitable
filter caps at Radio Shack.  I'd look for at least 1000 microfarads and at
least 20 volts.  Higher on either number won't hurt.  The local "ham" (radio
amateur) swap meet might be another good source (if they still have such
things in your area).  Or this one would do nicely:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200252751330

> lantern battery?

Good choice for things that don't draw too much current.  I'm guessing that
a 6v radio would have tubes though, and likely draws more than a lantern
battery can comfortably supply.  If you want to try it, monitor the battery
voltage while under load.  Your radio probably won't work very well if the
voltage drops below 5 volts or so.

Randall