Re: [Shop-talk] creative moving/packing ideas

To: shoptalk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] creative moving/packing ideas
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 10:02:46 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, Brad Kahler wrote:
> Later this fall we will be moving from Arkansas to Kentucky.  Part of
> the move will be figuring out a way to box up and move everything in our
> 36' x 80' shop.  The shop is pretty much filled to the rafters with
> Triumph car parts, hand and power tools of all kinds, work benches,
> unfinished project cars, etc.  Needless to say its going to be a
> daunting task.
>
> I'm looking for creative ideas on what kind of boxing/packing ideas you
> might have.  So far I've considered plastic totes, 55 gallon drums,
> cardboard boxes, wood crates, etc.
>
> Hopefully for obvious reasons I'd like to keep the cost as low as
> possible (yeah I know fat chance!).
>
> Anyway, if you have a creative idea on how to box up a shop like this
> and move it 620 miles I'd sure like to hear about it!

Holy crap!  That's gonna be a daunting task for sure... I've done this
twice, but quite a bit smaller.

This seems a bit silly perhaps, but something that worked for me was to
basically throw everything into an enclosed trailer, then sort it out when
I got to my destination.

Obviously this has some limitations... You don't want the engine laying on
the radiator, for instance.  :-)  You also don't want to loose the ability
to identify stuff.

But, my primary advice is to figure out where everything is going to go in
the new shop, then only do enough to make sure that when you get there
you won't have wrecked the stuff & will be able to figure out what it is.

Mark