Re: [Shop-talk] Quality Ratchets

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Quality Ratchets
From: scott.hall@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 04:43:29 +0000
I remember that thread!

kobalt is made by williams, which also owns snap-on.  kobalt is not made by
snap-on.

and the mac/craftsman/husky tools do not all use the same forgings.  I have
some mac ratchets that do not have a comparable (older) craftsman
model--they're just too differently shaped to come off the same forging/die.
and like he said--you can't get the mac ratchet mechanism anywhere but mac.
well, the *really* old craftsman stuff is pretty nice--like 40-50 years ago.
but everything that's stanley craftsman from the mid-'80s on, not as much.

now the new craftsman stuff is obviously matco.  it's just not polished.  I
don't like matco, but if I did, I'd just shop sears instead.   the kobalt stuff
I've seen does not seem to share any snap-on stuff.

From: Todd Walke <racertod@racertodd.com>

>          I've kept this post since it appeared on the list in 2003.  It was
> a repost of a message from 1999 off some other list from a guy that worked
> at Stanley:

<snip>