Re: [Shop-talk] water heater troubleshooting

To: scott.hall@comcast.net, Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] water heater troubleshooting
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:22:09 -0400
scott.hall@comcast.net wrote:
> so you think I should or should not replace the thermocouple?  I'm looking

I think your thermocouple is ok, since you say the pilot STAYS LIT.
It's a safety to ensure the gas does not turn on without an ignition
source.  If it's bad, the pilot will go out as soon as you release the
button, regardless of how hot it is.  You can not test by jumpering,
sine the thermocouple actually produces voltage -- it's not a passive
switch.

The rest of the control unit is called a "gas valve".  They can be VERY
expensive.  Like as much as a whole new heater.  What brand is your
heater?  Look for a model number on it and google.  You should be able
to find replacement valves and pricing on line that way.

If you replace the whole thing, you might consider going electric.  Is
it nat' gas or propane?  Propane costs a fortune here, and electricity
is actually cheaper;  I've switched my heater and the one at mom's over
for a savings.

Oh yeah -- and this web site is really good
http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/

   -Wayne