Re: [Shop-talk] replacing glass in a two pane sliding door?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] replacing glass in a two pane sliding door?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 09:00:29 -0700
> I have a sliding door with what I think is a normal two pane
> glass arrangement.
>
> While weedwhacking, I apparently managed to flick a rock into
> the door, shattering/spiderwebbing the outer pane in the door.

Went through the same thing myself a few months ago, tho with a single pane
sliding door.  There are people who will come to your house and deal with
the problem directly (generally by removing the door panel and taking it
back to their shop to measure, cut and install new glass); or you can save
some money by removing the panel yourself and taking it to their shop.

But I would suggest finding someone who specializes in glass doors; as two
different hardware stores decided the job was too big for them once they saw
my 48x78 door.

Charge was about $120 (housecall estimate was $300).  And yes, it's tempered
glass.

Randall