Re: [Shop-talk] Pole barn and deck footers

To: Team shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Pole barn and deck footers
From: Brian C Kennedy <kennedybc@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 15:00:29 -0700
John, I9m near you in northern Washtenaw county. My problem is I9m on a
small lake and the water table is down about 2 feet. The code now requires
pilings and the cost is 15-20K, way more than I want to pay. If the
structure is less that 400 sq ft, you can do pretty much what you want. My
70 year old cottage sits one footers down about 2 feet with a little cement
and a mortared stack of cinder block. It9s held up pretty well. Not much
shifting. The footings are somewhat shielded from the elements, although I
suspect is was not heated most winters. I9m thinking of a crushed limestone
floor, I mostly want to park my boat or a car or two in the winter. And then
a pole barn type construction. I was thinking maybe a 3flat2 2 x 29 rebar
enforced concrete pad a few inches thick down about 29 might do the trick.
But, I9m sure open to ideas.
Brian
-