Re: [Shop-talk] Determining beam span/hanging header joists?

To: john niolon <jniolon@bham.rr.com>, shop-talk
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Determining beam span/hanging header joists?
From: Obaa <obaa996@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 14:10:15 -0700 (PDT)
Hi John,

The truss is an engineered truss originally made for supporting the roof on
manufactured homes; I've attached a pic but don't know if it will go through.
I'm not sure what load they were originally designed for (I picked them up at a
lumber liquidator), but I imagine my load (the polycarb panels) must be much
lighter than anything they would have been designed for.

If I understand your header joist construction, it looks like (top view):
(inside)
      X        X
---|------|------
------|------|---
(outside)

Where:
  X = 4x4 beam
  - = 2x6 board
  | = joint between 2x6 board.
That's more stout than what I have.  I'm thinking:

--------|--------

or possibly:

--------|--------
--------|--------

I'm not sure how the plywood would help with this though?

--- On Tue, 8/5/08, john niolon <jniolon@bham.rr.com> wrote:
> I would think it would be sufficient to support the roof
> load but your load
> is something else... not the beam but  2x2 trusses ???  is
> this an
> engineered truss or something you've come up with...  I
> covered my deck
> 12'x24' with 2x6 roof rafters supporting metal
> sheeting (22 ga) with 1x4
> sheet 'girts' set flush with the top of the 2x6s
> (notched in) ... and it's
> all sitting on a double 2x6 beam on the outside
> end...overlapped about 3
> feet and bolted in 4 places with 1/2" bolts and nailed
> about a hundred
> times... it's supported by 4 4x4 posts (8'
> centers)... it's held a 12" snow
> for about a week and I routinely climb on it to clean
> gutters... although I
> limit my steps to the rafters and the bridging...
>
> I just don't know about 2x2" material and
> can't picture a 2x2 truss in my
> small mind...if you're still antsy about it, sandwich a
> piece of 3/8" or
> 1/2" plywood in between the 2x8s before bolting and
> you're surely good to
> go...  BTW a double 2x8 ?? you're gonna need some help
> to set that up there.
>
> john
>

> > I'm planning a 10' x 22' deck cover.  I
> plan on supporting it using 6 4x4
> > beams, spaced on both sides at the 1', 11' and
> 21' marks (10' spacing).
> > Would a 2x8 bolted to the side of the beams (or using
> those Simpson
> > Strongtie connectors) be sufficient to hold up the
> cover without sagging,
> > or should I plan for more support beams between the
> spans?
> > The cover itself will be made of 12 2x2 trusses (~9lbs
> each) and 11
> > roofing panels (~6 lb each), plus blocking between
> trusses.  I'm in an
> > area with very little snowfall, but a lot of rain.
> I'll need to climb up
> > there as well to install the roof panels and flashing
> (~190lbs). Should I
> > double up the 2x8's, one on either side of the
> beams?
> > The header joist will be made of 2 11' studs.  Is
> it sufficient to simply
> > butt them together and center the joint overlap
> equally on the center
> > beam, or is some sort of splice needed to keep them
> together.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/pjpeg which had a name of
truss.jpg]