Re: [Shop-talk] Pole barn and deck footers

To: "Brian C Kennedy" <kennedybc@comcast.net>, "Team shop-talk"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Pole barn and deck footers
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 17:12:21 -0500
Whatever you do about footings, don't omit a good vapor barrier.  Storing
anything in an enclosed building with a stone floor and no vapor barrier is
asking for rust.  Especially only 2 feet above the lake level, you'll get
moisture without a vapor barrier.  Ever see a car that was stored in a place
like that ??  Not pretty.

When I built my hangar I planned on a floor of just packed screenings,
although I eventually poured concrete.  I hit a sale at Horrible Freight and
got their best-quality (silver) tarp in a size slightly larger than the
hangar for $50, and laid that down first.  Other guys have rain from their
roofs when it's damp, but mine is dry.

Karl

<snip>
> I9m thinking of a crushed limestone
> floor, I mostly want to park my boat or a car or two in the winter.
<snip>